Grizzly Bear Momma

Welcome! This is the blog of an American Momma, raising her kids the American way - which is the best way there is!

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

So Beiber Fever....

Okay I just read an article on the fans of Justin Bieber. Apparently, when he lost the Grammy the other night, his fans went a little wild wishing that the star who did win would "crawl in a hole and die." The problem is that not only were they disrespectful of human life enough that they would say something so awful but they wrote it down on wiki. on the page of the singer who actually was deemed musically talented enough to win the Grammy.

I do not follow Justin Bieber and thank heavens, neither of my children do either. I only thank heavens because I have to listen to whatever they are into and for the moment, I enjoy their musical tastes, for the most part. I do love that my daughter does not follow trends and tends to walk her own unique way no matter what the trend might be. For a twelve year old to do that, says a lot about her character and how truly strong of an individual she is.

That being said, people were being extremely harsh on the "Beliebers." Again I saw comments made about how completely stupid our children are and how their education is falling behind and thus they have bought into Bieber mania. I saw comments from people who claim the music industry used to be "family" oriented and now it is run for teens. I have to disagree with this.

I was not around when Elvis Presley and Buddy Holly and the like brought rock 'n roll to the forefront of America but I know those who were. The parents of that generation, my grandparents, did not approve of Elvis. It was the teens that saw him and swooned. American Bandstand was built around teenagers. Rock has always been geared to their tastes. This is nothing new. For people of my generation it would have been boy bands that were all the rage. The generation before me had disco fever. It's been the same decade after decade.

Unfortunately for most of them, the pop stars burn out very quickly. Do you actually think that Bieber has the staying power of Elvis? Yeah, that's not going to happen. I was thinking back to when my daughter was younger. Hillary Duff was on tv in Lizzie Maguire and my daughter loved that show. Hillary Duff is now writing books. Frankie Muniz was the actor of the day - he was nearly arrested two days ago. She grew up from them to watching Miley Cyrus (who I still have faith that she might actually pull her life together before jumping fully into the Lohan Spiral.) She outgrew her as well. She listens to a little bit of everything now. Like her mom, she likes pop, punk, metal, oldies and rock. There's nothing wrong with being eclectic.

Would I say that Bieber fans were a little bit of an emotional roller coaster? Hell yes but then they are kids ranging from four to their late teens. They are, as a whole, an emotionally volatile group. Their parents are very defensive as well. I actually had a good friend stop speaking to me recently because I expressed an opinion that threatening to stop using twitter was not an effective way to raise money for charity. They are much better ways to go about it. She was offended because her daughter is a Bieber fan. I was not insulting the girl, I was commenting on the egos of the celebrities. Its been three months or so and I have not heard one word from her after speaking to her several times a day online for over seven years. Obviously she is not the person I thought she was.

Maybe I don't understand. I have never liked a celebrity to the extent that these girls love him. My daughter has not been that crazy over anyone either. She likes certain people but I have yet to see her go out of her way to fall all over a celebrity. She is a huge Harry Potter fan: movies, books and musicals. That is about as close as I have seen her get to obsession. I realize that though celebrities might look pretty, act well or sing melodiously, they are, in fact, just people. I admire talent but I am not going to fawn all over someone because they are making obscene amounts of money in Hollywood. You have to do more to gain my admiration. Are there celebrities that I would want to meet? Sure. There are male Hollywood stars that I find attractive and talented. There are females that I find talented or funny and some that are beautiful. In order for them to impress me they have to be humanitarians and charitable and decent spouses and parents. They have to do something with their money that benefits more than just themselves. They have to be creative. I love Tom Hanks, Steven Spielberg and George Lucas. I admire their talents and their strength of character. I love Jim Henson (may he rest in peace) for his wonderfully creative mind. I loved Charles Schultz because Charlie Brown is a personal favorite. Mark Twain, Jane Austen and Nora Roberts are my favorite writers. FDR my favorite president. I love reading about Bobby Kennedy. Ellen DeGeneres makes me laugh and I admire her courage. These are people I would like to meet but I do not obsess over them. Johnny Depp is extremely attractive but I would not go out of my way to meet the guy. Why? They are human. Nothing about them makes them better then me. It is all a twist of fate - who had talent; who knew people; who was blessed with a pretty face or a nice voice; who has a great sense of humor; and even who was in the right place at the right time. I would not trade lives with them because I love my life.

Rock on Bieber fans. Enjoy the ride. You are having fun and that is all that matters. Just remember to be respectful while doing it and be yourselves. It will come to an end and you will look back and wonder why he mattered. Your music will change. Your "anthems" will change and you will grow older. The difference will be, your stars will just be rising while his will be making the come back tour.

One more thing, Justin, when your star burns out - could it take Lady Gaga down with it? Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment