Grizzly Bear Momma

Welcome! This is the blog of an American Momma, raising her kids the American way - which is the best way there is!

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Valentine's Day

I was trying to decide what to blog about today because I am trying to write a little every day. I thought about politics and controversies. At some point I will blog about the latest priest abuse scandal in the Catholic Church in Philadelphia but I am not ready for that yet. I think because I am not sure how I feel and the feelings I do have are so raw. Besides that I am tired of stress this week. I need to write something light-hearted and fun.

This week was Valentine's Day. We don't celebrate it - that is my husband and I don't. We did when we were dating. Well. let's face it - men are a lot more romantic when they are dating. It's seems like the wedding band cuts off the circulation to that part of their brain. When my husband and I were dating, he would bring me flowers at odd times. He took care of me when I was sick. He would plan a surprise date once a year at least where I didn't know where he was taking me. I loved it. First came marriage and then kids - responsibilities, bills, and everything gets in the way. Lately it seems as though we are two ships passing in the night. He is so busy with work and God Bless the man, he works two jobs and I am so busy running the house and taking care of the kids that we just barely see each other. When we do, we are in a rush to tell each other everything all at once, less we forget and have to wait days before we see one another again. It hasn't dampened anything. I love him as much today as I did when we were fifteen, in fact, I love him more every day. Still, romance is dead - gone - kaput- finished - missing. I am thinking of putting up fliers with a 1-800 number on them. Maybe someone can help me find it.

Anyway, we don't celebrate Valentine's Day and by we - I mean him. Not that I expect anything mind you. I made him a card. I waxed poetic on FB. I made him brownies. He came home from work exhausted and not feeling well. He went to bed. That was that. LOL Believe me, it is not a big deal for me. We say we love you in so many ways each and every day but still it is nice to be thought of, once in a while, even a note here or there. So I celebrated with the kiddos. I made them brownies (with corn starch topping as an extra bonus - oops meant to put powdered sugar and grabbed the wrong box!) I gave them candy and a present or two. I made them cards. They were excited. They thanked me. They went on their merry way. Sheesh not even a drawn heart for mom LOL.

So I asked my son about his valentine - a little girl in his grade that he thinks is beautiful. He's seven by the way. He said,
"Mom, she's not my girlfriend. We're not there yet but I'm working on it!" Ha ha ha ha. Well at least romance is alive and well in first grade.

2 comments:

  1. Ian's so cute. The other day Elijah said he's going to get a girlfriend when he's 7 1/2, the exact age Brian was when his friend Alexa proposed to him. Hehehe!

    I didn't get anything for V-day either, not even an acknowledgment until I told Dennis happy Valentine's and he responded grumpily. I know he's super stressed about the job situation though, so I let it slide. You're right about them being more romantic when you're just dating! Most of the time he'll show a bit of effort by getting me some generic chocolates or roses--but believe me, I appreciate any bit of effort, when things like my birthday, our anniversary, and Valentine's have a tendency to to stagnant unless I do something about it first. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm tagging you, girl! Go to this blog post for the rules: http://kristinbaker.blogspot.com/2011/05/tag-im-it.html

    ReplyDelete